Thursday, May 28, 2009

First Post

So I decided to start a blog because I know one day, I'll want to reflect back on what I did to prepare myself for my aspiring career as Physician Assistant. Additionally, for anyone interested in a career as a PA, this may help whether I make it into PA school or not.

I thought I'd start out by introducing what stage in my career path I am in.
  • I'm back in undergraduate school at Valdosta State University, majoring in Biology. Previously matriculated at Georgia Tech for a bachelors in Management science, then on to a Masters in Business Administration in my hometown of Valdosta at Valdosta State University. Though I do not anticipate obtaining a Biology degree, I am still taking classes for a major in Biology so that I can meet the pre-requisites for most PA programs.
  • Currently volunteering at a pulmonary clinic as a student intern/transcriptionist under Dr. M who specializes in Pulmonology and Sleep Apneas.
  • I am in the process of preparing my applications for PA school
  • Taking Biochemistry during Maymester (which is a killer)
  • Plan on taking Human Anatomy and Physiology II during regular Summer term.
I have shadowed a couple of PAs, as it is highly encouraged by PA programs, from the following:
  1. PA S - Moody Air Force Base Family Practice clinic
  2. PA MC - South Georgia Orthopedics
Other healthcare related experiences are as follows:
  1. Observed orthopedic surgeries at Smith Northview Hospital including arthroscopies, total knee replacements, carpel tunnel releases, trigger finger releases, and rotator cuff re-attachment with PA MC and Dr. C.
  2. Observed Dr. Mc tackle five lap bands in one afternoon.
  3. Shadowed Dr. A at South Georgia Medical Center as he works the grave yard shift at the Emergency Room.
I'm definitely looking for more opportunities to learn and anything that will help me get a seat in PA school.

1 comment:

  1. if you like glass houses, you should check this out: http://philipjohnsonglasshouse.org/visit/

    ReplyDelete