Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Self Defense Class

Miami is known for its high crime and homicide rate. There are a lot of drugs out there that make people do really stupid things. There are also a lot of just plain stupid people out there that'll do anything for money or to get a girl...or boy.

Recently, I've heard in the news that a man slit the throats of his wife and four children in his Miami home then fled to Haiti to hide. He still hasn't been found. I also heard that a dead body was found in a forest a little outside of Miami and no one even knows who he is or how he got there. There's all sorts of reasons to be scared of moving to Miami. Even popular shows will exploit the crimes in Miami: CSI Miami, Miami Vice, ... Dave's World!

So, since my Mom learned that I will be going to PA school in Miami, she enrolled us two in a self defense class offered at the local YMCA. Since then, I've learned how to:
  • Defend myself from any attackers
  • Punch them in the nose/chin with my palm
  • Swing heavy men off me in case they attack me from behind
  • Kick them in the groin, shin, knee or stomach
  • Knock the intruder away in case they're choking me
This is my second week in the class, and I absolutely love it! I've never been attacked before *knock on wood*, but I've imagined being attacked many times and thought about what I would do if I were. I thought that if I planned ahead, my escape and protection would be better. Since taking this class and simulating the attacks, I've learned that no matter how much thought you put into it, it's so hard to respond on the spot when you've got someone surprising you from behind and your life is hanging by a string in someone else's hands. I've also learned how to protect my body in case someone attacks it, and that has boosted my confidence in fighting back a lot.

So, going to Miami could be a scary chapter for this small town girl, but after learning a lot of basic maneuvers, I feel so much more confident stepping out of Valdosta and going south to Miami. If I'm ever attacked, I'm not sure if I'll be shaken up and scared half to death, or proud of myself for being able to protect myself. I'm hoping it's the latter. :)

Btw, the above photo is my Mom attacking my brother as she's practicing some of the moves. Our instructor in the background had a great laugh as the whole entire class beat Michael up. hehe.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting into PA school, Irene! It's great to see you blogging again and I hope you're doing well! When do you move to Miami?

    ReplyDelete