Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bartender?

Tonight was my first experience as a bartender. My parents had a club party at their venue, and they asked me to help out. Originally, I thought Michael and I were going there to help get ice or stuff like that, but I ended up making mixed drinks the entire night. I kept hearing the phrase, "eh! eh! Gimme ....." while I was busy making and remembering someone else's drink order, and that only toggled my memory even more so often times I would forget the drink order and have to ask the customer what they wanted again. Well, that or I have a horrible short term memory. It may be that too.

Since this was my first time bartending and I had no prior training, I didn't know many of the recipes to the mixed drinks. Many times, our station would run out of vodka, cranberry juice, or rum, so we'd have to make a make-shift cranberry vodka or hawaiian blue. When people ordered Amaretto sours, I'd put amaretto, pineapple juice, rum, and sprite in it. I've never tasted amaretto liqueur before, but I think anything with sprite in it must taste good! So, that's what I did the entire night. I put sprite and alcohol together.

It's amazing how rowdy it can get in a large space, a dance floor, alcohol, and loud music with a really good DJ. Some people are super funny when they're drunk and some are just down right classless and scumbags. I saw beer bottles flying across the dance floor packed with a bunch of people, people spilling their mixed drinks and beers on our pool tables, and some guys with their pants down so low that it seemed like they wanted to show off their boxers and their butt. I wonder if that's the equivalent of women showing their cleavage and parts of their bra.

All in all, my first bartending experience was a good and fun one. I think it was fun mainly because my parents were there with me. AND, we made some darn good easy money tonight too! Now I can see why people like to open clubs. I cannot even imagine how much money clubs in Atlanta like Opera and stuff are making. If I were a bartender every night, I'd probably be so incredibly tired all the time. i'm so pooped. goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment