Monday, October 26, 2009

First Time Shooting a Gun


Though I don't see myself ever owning a gun, I thought it would be useful to try practice shooting one today with my brother and Dad. We practiced with two handguns and we brought a shot gun, but I was too scared to even try the shotgun.

When my father pulled the safety back on the handgun, he had no idea how sensitive the trigger was until he accidently fired a bullet. Luckily, he was facing the gun towards the forest and no one got hurt. It scared the soy sauce out of my bro, dad and me. Walking back to my Dad after running away from his accidental shoot, we were convinced that these guns were no joke. My Dad taught us how to use and hold one, and before you know it, I was in line to shoot at our homemade target: a soy sauce bucket hanging on a tree limb.

After the fire of the gun, my adrenaline was running full speed and there was a ring in my right ear. The ring soon went away, but my heart was still beating incredibly fast. I decided to practice three more shots and before the third shot, I was completely comfortable.

My brother was a chicken at handling the gun, but he soon seized the opportunity and shot the target perfectly! He owed all of his success to the hours he spend on games such as Combat Arms on the Nintendo Wii. Michael is so funny.


My father suggested, "Let's go to the creek, and let's shoot an alligator!" I thought this was hysterical, so I said, "okay!" though I knew I wasn't going to let my father shoot anything. As we were traveling towards the creek, a policeman called out for us and asked us to put down our firearms. Naturally, we did as we were asked, and he told us that this land belongs in the city lines, and we're not allowed to fire shots within the city. My father explained to them that the property belonged to us and that we weren't aware of the ordinance, and luckily, the police man just offered us a warning.

We didn't shoot our
selves an alligator, but we did come back home with an awesome experience and funny story to share with our Mom. Additionally, over the course of two months, I have successfully shot a gun and learned how to defend myself through a self defense class. It's funny how I'm doing this to prepare myself for my move to Miami next year, but of course, I could be attacked anywhere in the U.S. It would be just my luck to have something happen to me in Valdosta rather than a bigger city with higher crime like Miami. *knock on wood*











No comments:

Post a Comment